- The upcoming deadline for applications to Perimeter Institute's master course, Perimeter Scholars International, is February 1st, 2010. Details are available at www.perimeterscholars.org.
- Planck 2010, the Thirteenth European Meeting "From the Planck scale to
the electroweak scale", will take place at CERN from May 31 to June
4, 2010. The conference website is here.
- The International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP) is conducting a global survey to study the situation of physicists. The aim is to assess conditions of education and research and family support in international comparison. This is the third time this survey is made. It is available in 8 different languages on this website. (Thanks to Achim.)
- Things seen: The Kärnkraftsäkerhet och Utbildning (KSU) explains what ionizing radiation is in some well-done videos (via Hamish Johnston), The Uncanny Valley of computer-simulated lifeforms (via William Lu, if you like this you might also like Rob Cook's colloquium on Cartoon Physics), and if you love fractals you have to see this.
- Humor: Peanuts quantum cartoons at the Quantum Pontiff, No Snow Sign Fail (Thanks to Thomas), It has been a pleasure attempting to scam you (Thanks to Kelly).
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
This and That
Some bits of information that crossed my way recently: